Who is this course for?
The Access to Higher Education Diploma is an intensive one year course that enables students without the necessary academic qualifications to gain a level 3 certificate with A level equivalency and to prepare them for degree level education. Students must have a real desire to study and a commitment to attend.
This course is for mature students who are at least 19 years old on 1st September. . .
What are the entry requirements for the course?
There are no formal entry requirements but you need to be able to demonstrate:
- To be at least 19 years old on 1st September.
- Sufficient levels of literacy and numeracy. It is recommended that you have GCSE Maths and English at grade C (grade 4) or above before you start the course. Some universities and professions, such as teaching, nursing and childcare, also require you to have a GCSE in Science at grade C (grade 4) or above as an entry requirement.
- Evidence of recent study is desirable.
- Some idea of the higher education courses you wish to apply for.
- An ability to undertake independent study.
- Time management is essential as this course requires high levels of self-motivation and organisation.
How long is this course?
A 1 year full-time course beginning in September 2020 and finishing June 2021
What will I study on this course?
At UCJ we offer two pathways: Access Diploma in Social Science or Access Diploma in Science; both are designed to enable learners to progress onto a broad range of degrees.
- The Science Diploma covers biology, chemistry, psychology & maths; this qualification is very useful for those considering nursing, sports and any science degrees.
- The Diploma in Social Science includes sociology, psychology and history, which provide a useful foundation for many humanities, social science, and psychology and criminology degrees.
In addition all students undertake units in ICT and Study Skills.
What Qualification will I gain?
Ascentis Access to Higher Education Diploma – Level 3.
Satisfactory completion of the course is equivalent to three A’levels.
Will I go out on work experience?
There is no work experience for Access to HE. This is very demanding academic – 3 A level equivalency – course in one year.
What does this course lead on to?
The Access to HE diploma opens up progression to a range of Humanities, Science and Social Science degree courses in UK universities for adult learners, applying via UCAS.
It is a direct progression route to the many Plymouth University degrees on offer at University College Jersey (UCJ), which provides a low-cost route to gaining a degree on-island. It also provides an excellent foundation for the local Nursing Degree at the General Hospital, St Helier.
How much will it cost?
- £129 subscription and exam fee – tbis may be subject to a small increase.
- £3200 full course fees (if you have not studied at Level 3 before, your course fees may be waived)
There may be some additional costs for specialist books.
How can I find out more?
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 608582
You can find out more about the Access to HE Diploma as a route into HE at www.accesstohe.ac.uk