Who is this course for?
The Business and Finance sector in Jersey is the island’s largest employer. As well as providing the knowledge and skills to work in large multi-national organisations, this popular course also opens up possibilities for the budding entrepreneur to start their own small business.
Across the two years, you will examine different types of business, develop an understanding of managing people, physical, technological and financial resources and learn about the basics of marketing. You will cover accounting methods, financial regulation, human resource management and business communication.
A range of options will be available that can include, management accounting, product promotion, internet marketing, recruitment and selection, career planning, event management, contract and business law, website design, business ethics and international business.
What are the entry requirements for the course?
You need a minimum five GCSEs at grade C (grade 4) or higher, one of these must be either Maths or English Language.
How long is this course?
A 2 year full-time course, commencing September 2018 and ending June 2020.
What will I study on this course?
The full OCR Extended Diploma in Business is made up of 18 units of study:
Unit 1 – The Business Environment
Unit 2 – Business Resources
Unit 3 – Introduction to Marketing
Unit 4 – Business Accounting
Unit 5 – Human Resource Management
Unit 6 – Business Communication
Unit 8 – Management Accounting
Unit 9 – Creative Product Promotion
Unit 11 – Internet Marketing
Unit 12 – Recruitment and Selection
Unit 14 – Managing a Business Event
Unit 15 – Developing Teams in Business
Unit 16 – Aspects of Contract and Business Law
Unit 18 – Business Project Management
Unit 19 – Website Design Strategy
Unit 20 – Understanding Business Ethics
Unit 21 – Business and the Economic Environment
Unit 22 – International Business
What Qualification will I gain?
OCR Cambridge Level 3 Technical Extended Diploma in Business
Will I go out on work experience?
Courses at Highlands are about preparing you for the world of work. As part of your course you will learn how to go about presenting yourself to an employer to stand the best chance of getting the job you are looking for.
You will spend at least one week in a work placement and work towards an employability qualification.
What does this course lead on to?
- This course is equivalent to three A levels (120 to 420 UCAS points) and provides the opportunity to go directly into employment or study at degree level to go into business at graduate level. There is direct progression to the Foundation or BA (Hons) Degrees in Business & Management and Financial Services at the University College Jersey.
- Training Contracts in the workplace – Levels 3, 4, 5 (degree equivalent) employment / training contracts in the local work place in trust / funds / accountancy / insurance / marketing / event management
- Starting salaries largely between £19,000 and £25,000 (correct as at July 2015)
- 2015 – 95% of final year Level 3 learners, Level 2 and Level 1 students have University offers (L3) / signed employment contracts / apprenticeships within 2 months of leaving Highlands
How much will it cost?
• £36 per year registration fee
• £62 per year course material fee
How can I find out more?
For further information, please contact Employability on 608752 or email firstname.lastname@example.org