Who is this course for?
The Business and Finance sector in Jersey is the island’s largest employer. As well as providing the knowledge and skills to work in large multi-national organisations, this popular course also opens up possibilities for the budding entrepreneur to start their own small business.
Across the two years, you will examine different types of business, develop an understanding of managing People, Physical, Technological and Financial Resources and learn about the basics of Marketing. You will also the fundamentals of accounting and bookkeeping methods, International Business, Business Economics and Events Management.
A range of options will be available that can include, Pitching for a new Business, Market Research, Recording Financial Transactions, Investigating Customer Service and Work Experience for Business.
What are the entry requirements for the course?
You need a minimum five GCSEs at grade C (grade 4) or higher, one of these must be either Maths or English Language.
How long is this course?
A 2 year full-time course, commencing September 2020 and ending June 2022.
What will I study on this course?
The full BTEC Extended Diploma in Business is made up of 13 units of study:
Unit 1 – Exploring business
Unit 2 – Developing a Marketing Campaign
Unit 3 – Personal & Business Finance
Unit 8 – Recruitment & Selection Process
Unit 19 – Pitching for a New Business
Unit 22 – Market Research
Unit 14 – Investigating Customer Service (yr1 & yr2)
Unit 4 – Managing an Event
Unit 5 – International Business
Unit 6 – Principles of Management
Unit 7 – Business Decision Making
Unit 10 – Recording Financial Transactions
Unit 27 – Work Experience for Business
What Qualification will I gain?
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business.
Will I go out on work experience?
Courses at Highlands are about preparing you for the world of work. As part of your course you will learn how to go about presenting yourself to an employer to stand the best chance of getting the job you are looking for.
You will spend at least one week in a work placement and work towards an employability qualification.
What does this course lead on to?
- This course is equivalent to three A levels (120 to 420 UCAS points) and provides the opportunity to go directly into employment or study at degree level to go into business at graduate level. There is direct progression to the Foundation or BA (Hons) Degrees in Business & Management and Financial Services at the University College Jersey.
- Training Contracts in the workplace – Levels 3, 4, 5 (degree equivalent) employment / training contracts in the local work place in trust / funds / accountancy / insurance / marketing / event management.
- Starting salaries largely between £19,000 and £25,000 (correct as at July 2018).
- 2018 – 95% of final year Level 3 learners, Level 2 and Level 1 students have University offers (L3) / signed employment contracts / apprenticeships within 2 months of leaving Highlands.
How much will it cost?
• £36 per year registration fee.
• £62 per year course material fee.
How can I find out more?
For further information, please contact Employability on 608752 or email firstname.lastname@example.org