Who is this course for?
This course is specially designed for students who are interested in all aspects of Computing and wish to study in this area whilst also improving their academic profile.
It is specifically intended as a progression route to a Level 3 course such as Game Development, Information Technology, or another subject.
Learners will be introduced to the practical and academic skills needed to progress in the fields of Creative Digital Media (such as Web Design, Graphic Design, and Game Design) and Information Technology (such as Computer Systems, Programming, and App Production).
In addition, you will develop a range of transferable and academic skills designed to aid your progression to higher levels of study, including employability and ICT.
Learners will also have the opportunity to improve their English and Maths.
What are the entry requirements for the course?
You will need five GCSEs at grades 2 or 3 (grade E-D) or higher, including BOTH Maths and English Language.
How long is this course?
This is a one-year full-time course, commencing September 2022 and ending June 2023.
What will I study on this course?
The course is made up of ten units, four of which are Compulsory Core Units and six are specialist options:
- Core Unit 1: Digital Portfolio – Externally assessed and synoptic
- Core Unit Core 2: Personal Computers – Externally assessed
- Core Unit Core 3: A Digital Start-Up – Externally assessed and synoptic
- Core Unit Core 4: Working in the Industry – Externally assessed
- Specialist Option 5: Digital Graphics – Internally assessed
- Specialist Option 6: Internet Technologies and Website Development – Internally assessed
- Specialist Option 7: Networking and Troubleshooting Devices – Internally assessed
- Specialist Option 8: Digital App Creation – Internally assessed
- Specialist Option 9: Customising Apps – Internally assessed
- Specialist Option 10: Game Design – Internally assessed
What Qualification will I gain?
Jersey Progression Qualification in Computing.
Will I go out on work experience?
Students will participate in one week of work experience as part of the course.
What does this course lead on to?
Successful completion of this course to the required standard allows access to most Level 3 courses at Highlands College including, but not limited to, Level 3 Game Development or Level 3 Information Technology.
How much will it cost?
There are no fees for this course.
All students will be required to bring their own laptop to college to participate in this course.
How can I find out more?
For further information, please contact the Highlands College Admissions team on: 608582 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.