Who is this course for?
This unit/qualification is intended for candidates who wish to develop their knowledge of substance misuse in order to:
- Raise awareness of substance misuse and its consequences.
- Improve the knowledge, awareness, understanding and effectiveness of those:
– currently working in the field of substance misuse
– supporting people involved in substance misuse
– working to prevent substance misuse.
What are the entry requirements for the course?
Minimum age of 18 years. No previous training or experience is required.
This qualification is not suitable for those who are currently using substances or are in a state of severe emotional difficulty and/or severe psychological confusion. The course involves experiential elements that may involve some personal disclosure and associated personal developmental activities.
An interview may be requested prior to enrolment.
How long is this course?
This is a 10-week part-time course.
Monday evenings, from 6.00pm to 9.00pm.
- Sept 20, 27
- Oct 4, 11, 18,
- Nov 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
Tutor: Martina Conway
What will I study on this course?
- Effects of a range of drugs, including alcohol, and information on how to recognise the signs of misuse.
- Health risks of different substances and associated behaviour.
- Factors influencing initial and continual use of drugs.
- Personal responses and issues related to substance use and misuse will also be explored.
What Qualification will I gain?
CPCAB Level 2 Award in Understanding Substance Misuse.
Will I go out on work experience?
How is the course assessed?
Candidates build a portfolio of their coursework and write a journal every week.
Students must pass both the internal and external assessment to receive the qualification.
What does this course lead on to?
This is a stand-alone qualification, with possible progression to other counselling courses.
This qualification does not lead directly to an employed role. However, the knowledge gained would be useful in a variety of settings, both professional, paraprofessional and personal, for example:
- supporting those working in Tier 1 services by providing an overview of the subject.
- enhancing understanding of those already working therapeutically e.g. counsellors, support workers, key workers.
- benefiting parents and carers by virtue of increased knowledge and awareness.
- helping and supporting others either in a voluntary or employed capacity.
How much will it cost?
How can I find out more?
For further information please email: email@example.com.
Please note: this course will only run if there are sufficient numbers.